Rules of Engagement
Here's something I've been thinking about for a while, following numerous pub debates and listening to Any Questions recently. Basically, its a list of does and don'ts for all good slanging matches. There's enough here so you'll get the gist, but I'm asking everybody who reads this to contribute something, and perhaps we'll come up with something definitive.
So far we have;
1) First person to mention any of the following loses:
- Nazis/Hitler/Jackboots etc.
- Political correctness, particularly of the “gone mad” variety
- The thin end of the wedge
- Slippery slopes
2) Don’t think you’ve made a good point by making a pronouncement that nobody could possibly disagree with - “Not all Belgians are gluesniffers, obviously".
3) Kudos, but sadly no points, for sounding convincing when spouting spurious statistics - "87% of left-handers would prefer smoking in public to be banned outright".
4) Please remove rose-tinted spectacles before commencing.