Revelations

It's a completely cool, multi-purpose blog.

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Furthermore

I was enchanted the other day to discover that the great Roman orator Pliny the Elder would end every speech, on any topic, with the line "Furthermore, I think Carthage should be destroyed".

"We must build a new temple to Mars. Furthermore, I think Carthage should be destroyed".

"The behaviour of Caligula is a disgrace to the senate. Furthermore, I think Carthage should be destroyed".

"More freight on the canals. Furthermore, I think Carthage should be destroyed".

Brilliant! I suppose it's a bit like my email signature, which says "Do you realize that you have the most beautiful face?" followed by a link to this blog. It's a wonderful sentiment, I think, from my most favouritest song - a good way to end any message.

Anyways, next time I speak at a conference or a wedding or something, maybe I should try Pliny's technique of appending a small postscript to my oration:

"Furthermore, I think The Boo Radleys are criminally underrated"

"Furthermore, I think God does not exist"

""Furthermore, I think David Attenborough is the Greatest Living Englishman"

Any other suggestions?



3 Comments:

Blogger Sarah G said...

"Furthermore, Alan Moore still knows the score." hehe

7:27 PM  
Blogger Tom Goodfellow said...

Is that a PWEI reference? Ye gods!

7:33 PM  
Blogger Sarah G said...

Yup!

2:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home