Revelations

It's a completely cool, multi-purpose blog.

Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Movie miscellania

My David Stratton History of World Cinema course restarts tomorrow, for the final semester in a staggering 10 year programme. Its a chronological course and this 12-week sequence will start in 1979 before racing through the best of the 80s. I picked up the trail shortly after arriving in Sydney, in 1946 so to speak. My hope (and David's, I believe) is that next year we will loop right back to the beginning and start all over again in the silent era.

I've watched a few movies recently, including:

If... (Satirical & surreal)
The Last Waltz (Hard to take seriously post-Spinal Tap)
La Captive (The worst kind of artwank)
Tell No One (Vertigo-inspired, twisty-turny fun)
The Quiet Man (Ireland as theme park)

In the 1001 list, I have now seen 745, leaving me about one a week for the next 5 years. Eminently do-able I think.

Finally seeing If..., which I have been wanting to see for years, left me wondering what the most embarrassing omission in my cinema-watching history is, and it's getting to be something pretty obscure. Greed? Shoah? The second Pirates of the Caribbean movie? I'm thinking it's Raise The Red Lantern.

Anyways, I recognise most of the clips in this absolutely stunning YouTube video, put together by a librarian no less:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home