Revelations

It's a completely cool, multi-purpose blog.

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Gangster wrap

As with most movie fans of my age, male ones at least, my first cinematic loves were probably the Star Wars movies, followed at a later age by a lot of 1970s stuff by Coppola, Scorsese et al.

The first person to really pull me into the age of black-and-white, classic Hollywood where I've been residing ever since, though, was Jimmy Cagney. I remember watching White Heat on telly with my Dad, and it was an exhilarating experience. The rat-a-tat dialogue, the amoral brutality and that iconic "Top of the world, ma!" climax have stayed with me ever since.



On Sunday I went to a day-long "study day" all about Cagney, but it was less study and more of an indulgence from where I was sitting. 10 whole hours of it, from 9.30 to 7.30, taking in 4 movies. I'd seen 3 before (The Public Enemy, Yankee Doodle Dandy and One, Two, Three) and one was new to me (the terrific The Strawberry Blonde), and I enjoyed every moment.

Apparently it was a beautiful day in Sydney.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home