Revelations

It's a completely cool, multi-purpose blog.

Monday, July 16, 2007

I was in my dressing gown, actually

I've just been informed that I succeeded in my late-night job interview and that I am to move from Health Sciences Library to Engineering Library. Instead of my client group consisting predominately of fancy-free 19-year old women I'll be dealing with, well, engineers. Hmm.

One of the fun aspects is my parental connection. Mum and Dad are both academics. Mum's area is health science whereas dad is an engineer, so I've covered both bases. My sister is a GP, so perhaps the Medical Library will be next up.

In practical terms the main difference will be a move of physical location from suburban Lidcombe to the main campus in town. I'll experiment with journeys, but hopefully I'll be able to get a bus most days, meaning I'll get through stuff like War and Peace rather faster than I am managing at the moment (halfway through). I much prefer using public transport when I can, so we'll see.

I am pleased that I got the job partly because I risked some humour in the interview and it paid off. I figured that there's no point pretending to be more formal than I am when I am actually in the role, so it seemed like the right thing to do. The interview was by conference call and it was 1.15 am at my end, so when I was asked whether there was anything I would like to add at the end of the interview I replied "Yes, I'd like you to know that I'm wearing a really nice suit."

Maybe you had to be there.

In other news, baby number two is due a month tomorrow. All change!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on your new job!
Go Liverpool
Peter Guess Who?

ps I like the one about the "being in a nice suit! I did an interview like that once but on that occassion I was wrapped in a nice towel having flown out of the shower to answer the fateful call. Yes I did get the job too that time.

Cheers, Go Liverpool and lets beat Japan aswell!

9:25 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Congratulations.

Engineers eh? That should be fun. We have both health science students and engineers at my work, and you can see them coming from a mile off -but for very different reasons!

12:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home