Revelations

It's a completely cool, multi-purpose blog.

Sunday, November 23, 2008

That would be an ecumenical matter

I was ill at the end of last week, so a quiet weekend was called for and enjoyed. We did make it out for dinner with Mark, Tanya, Adam, Rhyll and Andrew plus various offspring, and that was fun. I know I've had a good night when my hummed rendition of "Land Down Under" has made an appearance.

2 interesting moments of cultural dislocation for me though.

First, I made a reference to avatars (the online kind) and was met with blank looks all round. Nobody knew what the hell I was talking about, which makes me worry about my assumptions re how clued up people are online. It's not like that group of people are dim or uneducated (except Mark, obviously).

A later remark about Father Ted was also received with general incomprehension, and it turns out it was never shown in Australia (as with Only Fools and Horses). It's a huge cultural touchstone for me, so its very odd that it isn't shared by my peers in this country. I've been in Oz for 6 years now, and I still occasionally get blindsided by differences like this.

3 Comments:

Blogger aussiehen said...

I can't believe it -no Father Ted?

You'll have some tea... are you sure you don't want any? Aw go on, you'll have some. Go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on GO ON!

12:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I could've sworn Father Ted screened here. Ashamedly I never actually watched it but am aware of the humour. I even have a vague recollection of seeing ads for it.

4:17 AM  
Blogger Tom Goodfellow said...

I stand corrected - it was shown on SBS according to Wikipedia. It never found an audience though, according to my scientifically representative sample of 6 mates of the same age who went to the same school.

7:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home