Revelations

It's a completely cool, multi-purpose blog.

Thursday, October 19, 2006

Work, Mostly

I was sitting in a long meeting yesterday, deputising for a deputy and thus experiencing life a couple of pay grades above that in which I currently reside. Gee whiz, it was awful. I’ve reached a stage in my career where I’m engaged in things I enjoy - regular student contact, sitting on working parties that actually achieve stuff, messing about with blogs and podcasts. It appears to me that life higher up is more involved with mission statements, policy discussion and perpetual inactivity. I’d rather be a humble librarian than a library manager.

We are expected to be ambitious but the truth is that I’m not. I have a car and a house, we have no problem paying for Beth’s upbringing (plus any more that come along), I can go back to the motherland every year and I get more CDs, DVDs and so on than I strictly need. Why try harder?

(In other news – everything’s OK).

1 Comments:

Blogger flexnib said...

That's what gets me about modern "work" - that the higher up the ladder you get the more detached you are from life at the coalface (so to speak). And so much of it is so numbingly dull...

12:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home