Revelations

It's a completely cool, multi-purpose blog.

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Music in movies Top 10

I just read an interesting article about classic music moments in movies. I found Bradshaw's a pretty good list, if sometimes a bit obvious. I would concur with Brief Encounter, 2001 and Jaws. I'd also have Mean Streets in there too, but I'd go for the Ronettes singing Be My Baby over the opening credits - electrifying. That's four, so let's see if I can complete a top 10:

5) The Cure's Plainsong in Marie Antoinette - A breathtaking moment in a mediocre movie, matched perfectly to the edit to denote the promotion of Marie from insecure courtier to Queen of France.

6) Ennio Morricone's theme to Once Upon A Time in America - The only orchestral soundtrack I own (although if anyone can track down a cheap copy of Rota's Amarcord, I'd be grateful).

7) East Hastings by Godspeed! You Black Emperor in 28 Days Later - The scene in an entirely deserted central London. the music helps you believe that the end of the world has come.

8) Cabaret in Cabaret - Before I saw the movie, I thought this was a trite bit of nonsense. It hit me like a brick when I realised it was a cry of desperate frustration. Joel Gray's Wilkommen is ace, too.

9) It's Always Fair Weather -
The bit with gene Kelly on rollerskates. It's the sequence that belatedly made me realise that musicals could be the best kind of cinema there is.

10) Just about anything in This Is Spinal Tap - I'm torn between Stone 'Enge and "Big Bottom got me out of my mind/how can I leave this behind?"

Anyone else?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home