Revelations

It's a completely cool, multi-purpose blog.

Monday, January 01, 2007

Books read in 2006

In case you hadn't noticed, I also write a book blog and I've just completed my 2006 round-up. I read exactly 100 books last year, and here's the evidence. What a sad case I am.

Flaubert’s Parrot

Julian Barnes

The Silent Traveller in London

Chiang Yee

The Pickwick papers

Charles Dickens

Exodus

To The Lighthouse

Virginia Woolf

A Study in Scarlet

Arthur Conan Doyle

The Bridge of San Luis Rey

Thornton Wilder

Midnight’s Children

Salman Rushdie

Rabbit, Run

John Updike

A Wizard of Earthsea

Ursula K LeGuin

The Moviegoer

Walker Percy

Freakonomics

Steven D. Levitt & Stephen J. Dubner

The Da Vinci Code

Dan Brown

The Final Solution

Michael Chabon

Vertigo (BFI Film Classics)

Charles Barr

1001 Albums You Must Listen to Before You Die

Robert Dimery (Ed.)

Das Cabinet des Dr. Caligari (BFI Film Classics)

David Robinson

Bride of Frankenstein (BFI Film Classics)

Alberto Manguel

Maus – A Survivor’s Tale

Art Speigelman

Ubik

Philip K. Dick

The Big Sleep (BFI Film Classics)

David Thomson

The Swimming-Pool Library

Alan Hollinghurst

Ender’s Game

Orson Scott Card

Pulp Fiction (BFI Film Classics)

Dana Spolan

Vernon God Little

DBC Pierre

Chinatown (BFI Film Classics)

Michael Eaton

A Year With Verona

Tim Parks

First Abolish the Customer

Bob Ellis

Little Dorrit

Charles Dickens

Invasion of the Body Snatchers

Jack Finney

Zofloya, The Moor

Charlotte Dacre

George Melies, Father of Film Fantasy

David Robinson

Amsterdam

Ian McEwan

The Code of the Woosters

P.G. Wodehouse

Right Ho, Jeeves

P.G. Wodehouse

Port Out Starboard Home

Michael Quinion

Cosmopolis

Don DeLillo

The Castle of Otranto

Horace Walpole

Losing It – The Inside Story of the Labor Party in Opposition

Annabel Crabb

Play It As It Lays

Joan Didion

Aberystwyth Mon Amour

Malcolm Pryce

Wrong About Japan

Peter Carey

The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp (BFI Film Classics)

A.L. Kennedy

Film Noir

Alain Silver and James Ursini

Paradise Lost

John Milton

Ivan The Terrible (BFI Film Classics)

Ivan Tsivian

The Grapes of Wrath

John Steinbeck

Jane Eyre

Charlotte Bronte

1919

John Dos Passos

Wide Sargasso Sea

Jean Rhys

Lady Sings The Blues

Billie Holiday with William Duffy

Leviticus

Day of the Locust

Nathaniel West

Asterix the Gaul

Goscinny and Uderzo

Mapp and Lucia

E.F. Benson

Venus in Furs

Leopold von Sacher-Masoch

Disgrace

J.M. Coetzee

Vathek

William Beckford

The Time Machine

H.G. Wells

A Confederacy of Dunces

John Kennedy Toole

The Essential Calvin and Hobbes

Bill Watterson

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Philip K. Dick

Cold Comfort Farm

Stella Gibbons

The Outsider

Albert Camus

London Orbital

Iain Sinclair

Notes from Underground

Fyodor Dostoyevsky

The Eyre Affair

Jasper Fforde

The Last Party – Britpop, Blair and the Demise of English Rock

John Harris

31 Songs

Nick Hornby

Running Wild

J.G. Ballard

Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell

Susanna Clarke

The Lost Decade and other stories

F. Scott Fitzgerald

The Adventures of Caleb Williams, or Things As They Are

William Godwin

The Accidental Woman

Jonathan Coe

The Long Tail

Chris Anderson

Monsieur Monde Vanishes

Georges Simenon

The Painted Bird

Jerzy Kosinski

The Uxbridge English Dictionary

John Naismith et al

The Clerkenwell Tales

Peter Ackroyd

God Bless You, Mr Rosewater

Kurt Vonnegut

Words and Music – A History of Pop in the Shape of a City

Paul Morley

Vile Bodies

Evelyn Waugh

The Silent Traveller in Oxford

Chiang Yee

Apocalypse Movies

Kim Newman

The Conformist

Alberto Moravia

A Christmas Carol

Charles Dickens

Decline and Fall

Evelyn Waugh

The Eye

George Bataille (aka Lord Auch)

Riders of the Purple Sage

Zane Grey

The Floating Brothel

Sian Rees

The Man Who Was Thursday

G.K. Chesterton

Aesop’s Fables

Aesop

The Loved One

Evelyn Waugh

Elizabeth Costello

J.M. Coetzee

A Room With A View

E.M. Forster

The Nun

Denis Diderot

I Married A Communist

Philip Roth

Slow Man

J.M. Coetzee

Where Angels Fear To Tread

E.M. Forster

Metamorphosis

Franz Kafka

7 Comments:

Blogger flexnib said...

Wow - what an impressive list! Of your 100 I think I have only read 7.5 of those titles (0.5 because I have only read the first part of Maus). The seven:
A Study in Scarlet (I love Sherlock Holmes)
A Wizard of Earthsea (ditto Ursula Le Guin)
The Da Vinci Code (meh)
Ender's Game
Asterix the Gaul
A Room with a View
The Loved One.

Did you really read ALL of Paradise Lost? And I see a lot of Evelyn Waugh and Charles Dickens, too - were they first reads, or re-reads?

10:27 PM  
Blogger Tom Goodfellow said...

All first reads except for Jane Eyre and, er, Calvin & Hobbes. Re-read Dickens? Life's too short.

Yep, all of Paradise Lost. It's not that long, and better than you'd expect.

Can you tell that Eng Lit was my uni subject before librarianship?

4:30 AM  
Blogger flexnib said...

Fair enough re Dickens. The only one I've read is David Copperfield (school read, though). Might have to try A Tale of Two Cities some time...

As for Paradise Lost, I was always put off by the twelve (or however many) book thing, but I went and looked at it online after reading your post, and you're right, it isn't that long.. hmm...

As for Eng Lit, I would never have guessed ;)

2:32 PM  
Blogger riverleigh said...

Hi Tom,
Loved the list but have to say- I LOVE Dickens- try 'Bleak House' and see whether the initial description of fog puts you off (the majority) or hooks you (me!).
Also a huge Conan Doyle and Wodehouse fan. It was fun to see what someone else read in a year- very impressive!
cheers
Leslie
PS I have read 32 of your titles, but over time not just last year...not sad, inspiring!

11:52 PM  
Blogger Tom Goodfellow said...

Thanks Leslie, glancing at your profile I'd say our taste in books is pretty similar - Possession is one of my all time favourites too. I remember reading the ending on a bus in London and crying like a big girl. Lovely.

Bleak House - read it, loved it. I go to London every year and every time I'm at Ludgate Hill I imagine a great lumbering dinosaur emerging from the mist...

2:07 PM  
Blogger riverleigh said...

Possession. What can I say about that book? It was, simply, one of the best books I have ever read, and that's saying something.
On my few trips to London (I used to live in Cambridge and Oxfordshire), I'm always catapulted back into Dickensian times...'cept for the death, disease and poverty- only the nice stuff, of course!
I think I'll start trying to read some of the books on your list... ;)
Cheers
From a fellow Eng Lit major,
Leslie

3:11 PM  
Blogger Tom Goodfellow said...

I need to clarify my earlier comment that life's too short to re-read Dickens. I revere his work and have always enjoyed it. When I say life's too short what I mean is that his books are so darn looong.

11:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home