Revelations

It's a completely cool, multi-purpose blog.

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

RTA rant



For those of you who don't know, New South Wales has a very tedious and onerous set of rules for new drivers. First you are on your L plates for 6 months, until you pass your driving test - fair enough. Then you're on your red P (for provisional) plates for a year, whereupon you take a test taken on touch-screen technology that doesn't work. This grants the enormous privilege of progressing from red Ps to, oh yes, green Ps. Great. 2 years later, you can take another computer test to finally ditch the plates, thereby depriving other drivers of an excuse to mutter "bloody P-platers" when they are stuck behind you doing the speed limit on suburban streets.

The whole system is unwieldy and irritating, aimed squarely at 17-year-olds rather than, er, mature types such as me. It's expensive too - each of those tests costs money, and if you fail you have to pay again.

The last stage is the one I passed yesterday, meaning I can finally go at 110kmh on freeways and have a glass of wine before driving - both denied to P-platers. More importantly, a full driving license means I can drive overseas. Finally, my dream comes true! I get to trundle round the M25 in my mum's Peugeot this June. Huzzah!

3 Comments:

Blogger ADHD Librarian said...

So,
shall we get together for a pint in a British pub?

I'll be there end of June and most of July and I'm not the sort of bloke to drive his mum's car, ha! 'tis to laugh.
I'll be driving my aunt's car.

5:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I'll have to check in with you about how to "beat the test". Mine is coming up at the end of the year.

5:14 PM  
Blogger Rob Gordon said...

Oh my holy cow - I didn't realise you'd completed this essential rite of passage. I can finally consider you 'one of us' and stop muttering about you behind your back!

10:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home