Revelations

It's a completely cool, multi-purpose blog.

Monday, September 21, 2009

Those who have seen it will understand my grief

Much of myeekend was spent watching Very Significant French Cinema, but the highlight was inevitably my first ever trip with B1 to go see a movie. She's a devotee of her Toy Story videos, so I figured Pixar's latest, Up, would be a good bet. B1 enjoyed all the hoopla of the trip, buying popcorn and suchlike, and she could tell I was pretty excited and joined in accordingly.

Unfortunately the film itself turned out to be a bit too "old" for her probably. It involves themes of grief and childlessness which would have been totally lost on her, and she thought that the hero was a "bad man" rather than the crotchety but kind-hearted soul he actually was. She also got bored of the 3D glasses and found the whole thing rather too loud. The worst feature was probably the really scary pack of dogs that the good guys are chased by for much of the film, an effect exacerbated by the fact that they were in 3D.

Still, she said she enjoyed it and would like to go again. Something more gentle next time, I think.

Incidentally, I spent a fair chunk of the movie crying at the sad love story aspect, and trying to conceal the fact from both B1 and the other adults seated nearby. Honestly, I can't remember sobbing so embarassingly at a movie since Brokeback and at least that wasn't a kid's movie.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sarah G said...

I can't WAIT for the first time I take my kids to the movies. Welcome to the magical kingdom, kids!

(When I first saw Up advertised and didn't really pay attention I thought, "Has someone remade that Russ Meyer film?" Heh Heh

3:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home