Revelations

It's a completely cool, multi-purpose blog.

Sunday, November 26, 2006

Depressing, really depressing and depressingest

Lots of films this week, which is always a good thing. M & I watched a film about the firebombing of Tokyo and the slow death by malnutrition of two children who are orphaned in the carnage. It is, of course, a cartoon.

At my
film course we saw a black & white movie about a crematorium worker in wartime Czechoslovakia who gets turned on by the dead, betrays his friends to the Nazis, kills his wife and son and finally goes off to help design the death camps. It is, of course, a comedy.

I also watched the cricket, which was the most depressing of the three by some distance. Sigh.


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Grave of the Fireflies" has to be one of the most moving, powerful war movies I've ever seen. It's absolutely breathtaking. Thank god it's a cartoon - if it was live action I don't know if I could've made it through. I really like Roger Ebert's review http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20000319/REVIEWS08/3190301/1023
A quote: "Yes, it's a cartoon, and the kids have eyes like saucers, but it belongs on any list of the greatest war films ever made."

9:20 PM  
Blogger Tom Goodfellow said...

The bit where they release the fireflies in the cave is magnificent, but I didn't rate it as highly as many people do. Something to do with the sentimentality of the ghost sequence after the wee lass dies, it was a bit cloying. I know I'm in a minority though.

Totoro, now there's a film.

12:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home