Revelations

It's a completely cool, multi-purpose blog.

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Not David Stratton

Well, I finally finished Paradise Lost (15 years after I was supposed to have done it for uni) and it was worth it in the end. There’s a full review on my book blog, if you’re interested.

(As an aside, at one stage during Paradise Lost, I found myself reading 4 different books simultaneously. One was by my bed, one in my work bag and so on. I try and keep myself to one or two books at a time but a difficult read always makes it tempting to pick up something easier when you’re tired.)

We’ve watched lots of movies in the last few days. Here are my capsule reviews:

Superman Returns – Worthy return emphasising the Christ parallels. Routh is perfect as the guy in the tights, less convincing as the bumbling Clark Kent.

Giant – Classic old-school Hollywood epic featuring an unconvincingly aged Jimmy Dean

A Star Is Born – James Mason and Judy Garland are both great in a big weepie melodrama

Underground – Overlong Euro art-house, 1 part brilliance to 2 parts guff

Inherit The Wind – Scarily relevant movie about creationist fundamentalism, Frederic March is brilliant as the prosecuting lawyer

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home