Revelations

It's a completely cool, multi-purpose blog.

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Auslan

I don’t usually blog about work, on the basis that if somebody has to pay me to turn up somewhere it probably isn’t very interesting. However, MPOW recently set up a course for learning Auslan, aka Australian Sign Language, and it’s chuffing brilliant.

We’re 3 weeks in and I’m fascinated. It’s very intuitive, and I love the way that you set up a situation in your “signing space” and then can tell a story within that space. That is, if I establish first that my back of my right hand is “car” and the index finger on my left hand is “Jim” then I can easily go on to show that Jim is in front of the car, Jim is behind the car, Jim was hit by the car, Jim was working under the car and so on.

Similarly, you can improvise once you know a basic sign. So if you know “walk” (two fingers on your right hand walking across the palm of your left hand), then you can intuitively say stagger, tiptoe, hop, bound and so on.

There’s a horribly designed but content rich website called Signbank that I spend a lot of time on. Basically it’s an online dictionary and each word has a wee video to show you the sign. The connections between sign and meaning can be straightforward, witty or baffling, but are usually interesting.

The politics of the Deaf community are also interesting. Many Auslan users don’t consider themselves as disabled, and I can see their point – if I turned up at a party and everybody else was signing I’d be the one in trouble. On the other hand, you’d want to be covered by the same anti-discrimination legislation as, say, wheelchair users.

Next week a new teacher takes over who is himself Deaf, and the whole class will be “Voice Off”. I’m a little bit scared at the prospect, but also excited and I expect it’ll be a lot of fun.

4 Comments:

Blogger flexnib said...

Sounds great, Tom! I'm intrigued that work has organised this. Do you guys deal with many from the Deaf community?

11:58 PM  
Blogger Tom Goodfellow said...

Not myself, but there is a Deaf member of staff in another location. I'm not sure about why they are running the course now, as she has been here longer than me, but it has made it quite fun to wander around campus and see lots of library staff waving their arms around at each other, which usually ends with laughter.

12:04 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

It is fascinating. Many people don't realise that sign languages obey the same linguistic principles as spoken languages - are just as rich, complex and intricate. Last year I had a deaf student taking my course, so all my lectures were translated into BSL as I gave them. The final lecture of the year was given by a deaf linguist (on the linguistics of sign langugage) and was translated into English for the rest of the students. A real eye opener for them...and me!

I think about learning more BSL - but sadly as you're learning Auslan - we'd still have to communicate in spoken English!

2:22 AM  
Anonymous David J said...

Is this a brilliant description of an emerging love affair with Sign? Can't recommend enough getting in the pub with patient but challenging Deaf people. My formative experience with BSL was going on to a Deaf party after a couple of pints with a mixed group. Led to a solid determination to get fluent - took a while (2 yrs) but got there. Recently started working with Deaf colleague and using the language again - it is every bit as wonderful and beautiful as English. Enjoy.

2:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home