Revelations

It's a completely cool, multi-purpose blog.

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

I must have missed that bit in Genesis


M&I watched a film last night that immediately went close to the top of my mental “best movies EVER” list – The Battle of Algiers. A doco-style recreation of the Algerian struggle for liberation from French colonial power in the 1950s, the resonance with the current situations in Palestine, Lebanon and Iraq was heartbreaking and infuriating. Although the film broadly favours the FLN (terrorist?) point of view, neither side is shown as always being right or wrong. One scene in particular, in which female FLN bombers look at café patrons that are about to be murdered by their devices, is stomach-churning.

In other news, the local populace of redneck Toowoomba have overwhelmingly voted against using recycled sewage as drinking water. Bear in mind that Australia is suffering a massive and worsening water shortage, and that at present waste water is simply flowing out to sea. I listened to a vox pop on the radio and heard the following arguments:

Idiot: “I voted no, I’m not drinking sewage”
Reporter: “What would your solution be then?”
Idiot: “I don’t know, love, I’m not into politics”

Idiot 2: “Recycling is against god, against creation, you know what I mean?”

Morons! Morons! MORONS!

Oh, I just stuck a few more pictures of beth being gorgeous up at the Flickr site for your enjoyment and edification.


17 days and 12 hours to go...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home