She's nobody's baby now
Life plods on in its usual way (movies, gin, gigs, wine, diet, mah jong, more wine) but I realise that I haven't posted much about the most interesting thing recently, so here's an update on the gorgeous Beth*:
1) She is definitely a toddler now and no longer a baby. Running around, expressing opinions, throwing the odd tantrum - she's got the whole works. We have marked the transition by ceasing to describe her age in months and switching to years. A couple of months ago she was 18 months old, now she's nearly two, if you see what I mean.
As Sarah mentions, its a truism to say how quickly it happens, but ye gods it is true. Mind you, one of the cherubic wee lassies who acted as flower girl at our wedding just turned 16, which is really scary.
2) Beth can now count, kind of. It goes "one...two...three...fourfiveeightNINE!". I can make her look very clever by holding up nine fingers and asking her how many there are, as she always gives the same answer.
3) She has her first brand names. She loves her Barbie spoon and toast with Marmite (not Vegemite - ha ha!). She got a bit confused at Bunnings, where she kept laughing and shouting "Hop hop!". "No, sweetheart, that's bunnies."
4) She is toilet training and just this week has moved out of her cot and onto the Big Bed. Significant, ahem, movements.
5) She enjoyed going for a bike ride the other day, sitting behind me with a wee helmet on, so we'll do that more often. At one point we sheltered from the rain in a bird hide, but I don't think she grasped the basic concept of quiet, stealthy observation. Instead, she stuck her head out of the hut window and shouted "Hello ducks!"
* Apologies to Ben and anyone else with a low soppiness tolerance. Back to the usual drivel shortly.